Banner
Got a specific question in mind? Check out our list of FAQs or enter your keywords in the search bar on the home page.

How much do I tip when using SuperShuttle?

tipping your supershuttleLike a waiter serving you at a restaurant or the bellman carrying your luggage up to your hotel room, private transportation drivers in the U.S. – such as taxi, shuttle, and pedicab drivers – are considered a part of the service industry, and tipping is customary.

When to Tip

Gratuity is most often determined at time of payment and can be included on most debit or credit card receipts. It can be given in cash directly to the driver, also.

How Much to Tip

As with all services, the amount you tip depends on the quality of your experience. The choice to tip and how much to tip, is at your discretion. The accepted standard for tipping in the transportation service industry ranges between 15 and 20%; we recommend this  as a starting point for anyone who is unsure what amount to give.

How to Tip for your SuperShuttle Service

There are two ways to tip when using our service:

First, when you book and pre-pay in advance online or by phone, you’ll be given the option to add a gratuity directly to your credit or debit card purchase. This streamlines the tipping process and eliminates the need to calculate tip and carry cash during your ride.

If you prefer to wait to see how the ride goes, you can decline adding a tip during booking and instead provide a cash tip at the end of your ride. Please note that we are unable to add a tip onto your credit or debit card fare after the ride, even in exceptional circumstances, so be sure to carry cash if you opt out of pre-paying your tip.

Posted 130 days ago by Maggie     34 Comments

Bookmark and Share

34 Comments

• annie 10 days ago
    I remember forgetting to tip a driver once. Later that day my brother, who is used to be a shuttle driver, was talking about how annoyed he would get when people didn't tip him. I told him I had forgotten to tip our driver and felt awful. Later he told me that he had tipped him and I was off the hook. www.ammoss.com.au

• ltrahan 9 days ago
      After a long day of travel tipping a driver can be something that is easily forgotten. This is the reason why our services allow customers to tip in advance. Thanks for sharing, Annie!

• Alan 12 days ago
    I have been accustomed to taking airport buses, where there are many passengers. I tip $1 a bag on those big busses. The shuttles are intermediate. When I started taking them, I rode with numerous passengers, and tipped as if I were on a bus. Now more and more I am riding alone. I need to start tipping 15-20% in that situation. If there are a lot of passengers, I will tip less. If you advance tip, a driver could make a nice bundle if there are a lot of passengers. Most often they don't.

• ltrahan 10 days ago
      Thanks for sharing, Alan! You made a good point about tipping in advance, especially if you’re unaware of how many passengers will be on the van.

• Jake Jenson 18 days ago
    I think you should just tip the driver directly in order for the full amount to go to him.

• ltrahan 17 days ago
      Jake: We allow our Customers to have the freedom of tipping the driver ahead of time or in person. We like to make it as convenient as possible.

• Boswell Entwhistle 20 days ago
    Tipping before a service is performed is totally illogical. Good service - give a tip. Poor service - don't tip. How on earth is one to know what the standard of service is beforehand? Do we tip airline pilots? Flight attendants?

• ltrahan 18 days ago
      Boswell: Thanks for your inquiry. Gratuity isn’t a requirement it’s more less a recommendation to include the tip upon booking your reservation for the customer’s convenience.

• Sherry 53 days ago
    15%--205 of WHAT? The entire fee charged for parking while we're away? I have no clue what amount to base the tip on other than that, and that seems extreme. Help, please.

• Shauna 51 days ago
      We recommend a 15-20% of the trip's fare, which varies. If you book a shared ride back to your home from an airport we serve for $28.00, a 15% tip would be an additional $4.20. Our service eliminates the need to drive to the airport and thus charges for parking during your travels.

• Lori 98 days ago
    I prefer to tip while booking online. I, too, am sending a college student back & forth to school out of our home state. I look at it as I am tipping for the convienence of someone taking my student to &/or from the airport (40+/- min from school)without having to depend/impose on other students.

• Valere Knight 106 days ago
    When I travel for business I sometimes use the shuttle when I do not have a ride to or from the airport. My habit is to tip the driver when I reach my destination rather than add it to a company card. The tip added to a company card is usually my responsibility when submitting an expense report so it is more convenient to tip the driver myself rather than mess with calculating expenses out. Valere Knight

• Shauna 106 days ago
      Valere: That's a really good idea for those reporting business travel expenses. Thanks for sharing!

• sl 112 days ago
    My daughter is a college student who goes to school out of state and I book her shuttle on-line and always include the tip. It is a great convenience.

• Sandy 113 days ago
    I add the standard tip at time of booking. I told the drived my tip was included with my total booking he informed me he does not receive those tips and they were for not for the drivers but the owners. So I felt I needed to tip him (again!).

• Shauna 112 days ago
      Sandy: The vehicle operators do receive the tip, and I'm very sorry you felt obligated to pay more. If you use our service in the future, please do not feel obligated to tip again. In the meantime, I'd love to have the local management team look into this situation - please feel free to reply to this comment with your confirmation number so that we can do so. Thanks!

• Mary 114 days ago
    I don't believe the person who wrote this article has the full picture. A lot of "service" personnel (waitresses) depend on "tips" to bring their wages up to the "minimum wage" (which is wrong) but supposedly, the only way for some eating establishments to keep their prices reasonable. Is this the case for the shuttle drivers? A tip shouldn't be mandatory...it should mean something, for good service.

• Shauna 112 days ago
      Mary: The option to tip our vehicle operators is not mandatory by any means. It is customary, however, to tip 'on demand' drivers - including cabbies, shuttle drivers, and sedan and limo drivers - and this post was only intended to clarify those who are wondering what is the cultural norm.

• M 115 days ago
    So my standard is 20% , i get it i worked in the service industry. But you know what makes me want to tip $0.00? Stupid, greedy comments like the one in this article.. "If you had a great experience, a matching tip is a good way to tell the driver: great job, keep it up!" Seriously? I should double pay for my fare if i had a great experience? Why do t i just get a cab? With a 20% tip i would be saving money, get home faster, and both driver and i would be happy. Greed and audacity is what i chalk this blog comment to.

• Shauna 112 days ago
      M: As noted above, it's considered customary to tip 'on demand' drivers, such as those of taxis, airport shuttles, private sedans and limos. There is no obligation to tip your driver if you don't feel it necessary. This post was designed to answer a question we are frequently asked on and offline. Gratuities are never considered mandatory and I'm sorry you felt it was an attempt to be greedy. To be clear, in most cities, our vehicles are independently owned and operated by franchise owners and the tip goes directly to them, not the corporate team that authored this post.

• Randy 115 days ago
    If the tip is given according to the quality of the service is seems only logical to provide it at or directly after the time of service and not "prepay" prior to your shuttle service. What if your ride and service isn't that great? I would much prefer to give a cash gratuity and ensure that the driver receives it.

• Shauna 112 days ago
      The option to provide a tip in advance is a courtesy for those customers who want to speed up the process or who may not want to carry extra cash while traveling. There is no obligation to tip in advance, just as there is no obligation to tip in general. If booking online, you can enter $0 as the amount you'd like to tip and continue booking. If booking by phone, just decline when offered the opportunity to tip.

• Bing 115 days ago
    I did pay the tips when I book online, but it seems most people also paid cash for tips when getting out of van. In this case I would become a little weird if I didn't do so... I don't know how to handle this.

• Shauna 112 days ago
      That can be understandably awkward. Feel free to assert to the vehicle's operator that you already tipped while booking online. He or she will receive it, and depending on the technology in their van, may be able to see the tip within their own system. Also, please keep in mind that if you're coming FROM the airport, many of the other passengers tipping cash may have booked at the airport and not in advance online, and so did not have an opportunity to tip in advance as you did.

• J Jurenka 115 days ago
    I have had one or two bad experiences with SS drivers, over the many years that I've used your service, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to reward the driver with a pre-paid 15-20% tip. So, I will continue to pay cash, after the trip.

• Shauna 112 days ago
      J Jurenka: The option to tip in advance is simply a courtesy to our customers who don't want to carry the extra cash or spend the extra time while getting out of the van. We support whichever way the customer prefers to tip, if they choose to do so.

• selma ost 115 days ago
    We have used Super Shuttle for many years and in recent years pay a very high asmount as we are far from the airport- we have never neglected to give a tip at end in cash - your 15-20% gratuity makes the tip very costly to add to the cost...as over 85 years of age this amount is too much for us - we will continue to give what we have as the service has not changed - just the ideas...and do not consider us cheap - just that we are unable to add on a greater gratuity. How about a senior discount on your end - then we could use it for the gratuity.

• Shauna 112 days ago
      Selma: Thanks for using us over the years, and for your generosity in tipping your drivers. As noted above, tipping is considered customary for 'on demand' services, such as taxis, airport shuttles, and private sedan services, but it is not mandatory. As for the discount, it's up to our individual locations to set up senior discounts, but feel free to call our reservation center to see if your home destination city offers one. 1 (800) BLUE VAN (258-3826). Phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• veronica 115 days ago
    I think it's better to just give the tip to the driver. That way you know for sure it goes to the driver. I was told by one driver that the tips added online don't always go to them. So just to be safe, I stopped adding them online. I just have to plan better and have cash on me.

• Shauna 112 days ago
      Veronica: I'm sorry to hear that your vehicle's operator said that. Our system is designed to ensure drivers receive gratuities, and our local management teams go to great lengths to pass on kudos shared with us via customer service and other departments. There's no obligation to tip of course, let alone to pre-pay a tip, and I'm sure they appreciate the cash just the same. Thanks for your generosity!

• Sg 126 days ago
    I included a gratuity when I paid on line- does this tip not go to the driver? The van I'm in has a sign that says "tips not included". I certainly meant what I added for the driver.

• Shauna 122 days ago
      Sg: That sign means that the gratuity is not included in the original fare. In some cities, people can book at the airport and do not pay until the end of the ride, and many people who book in advance do not include gratuity. If you added gratuity in advance, it will be given to the driver.

• Rocío 127 days ago
    Pregunta: Cuanto cuesta transportarnos desde Airport Liberty Newark hasta 80 South Morris st., Dover NJ somos 3 pasajeros para el día sábado 21 de diciembre

• Shauna 127 days ago
      Rocio: If you're referring to the 80 S Morris St. in the zipcode 07801, we unfortunately do not serve that zipcode presently. If you're looking for a similar address in a different zipcode, you can check on fare quote 24-7 using our online tool. Click here to get a fare quote!

(required)
(required)
CAPTCHA image
Enter the code shown above in the box below

Buckle Up for Safety
Latest Comments

comment Yasmin: Thanks for your inquiry. We strongly ...
comment Hello there i arriving IAD ar 0825 AM and i need ...
comment Thanks for sharing, cblacosta! It’s always wise to ...
comment I think you should change supershuttle to ...
comment This is some great information. You should really ...
comment Leonardo: Thanks for your inquiry. If you decide ...
comment My flight arrives at 9:23 AM in Kansas City, but ...
comment Cynthia: I'm sorry for the rudeness of our ...
comment Warren: Thanks for your inquiry. Travel time does ...
comment Sharon: Thanks for your inquiry. At this time we ...
comment Thanks for your inquiry. Please contact our ...
comment Koh: Booked reservations are to insure our ...